Not disputing slain youths were ‘terrorists’: J&K DGP | India News

SRINAGAR: J&K DGP Dilbagh Singh on Thursday said that he has “no reason to dispute” what a senior army official had stated about Wednesday’s encounter in which three “terrorists” were killed, but added that “still police will investigate the claims of [fake encounter] made by their families”.
The families have claimed that the encounter was “stage managed” and insisted that the youths had gone to a university to submit forms. “I want to ask them what were their children doing at the encounter site if they had gone to submit forms?” Singh said in reply to a query during a press conference at Jammu.
Security forces continue to maintain that the three youths — identified by their families as Zubair Ahmad Lone of Turkawangam area in Shopian, Ajaz Ganai of Putrigam, and Athar Mushtaq of Bellow in Pulwama — were Al-Badr terrorists. One Ak-47 rifle, along with several live hand grenades, was recovered on Wednesday from the site of the night-long encounter at Lawaypora on the outskirts of Srinagar, they have pointed out.
The DGP also said that General Officer Commanding (GoC) Kilo Force H S Sahi had mentioned that the trio had plans to carry out a big strike on the Srinagar-Baramulla highway and that they turned down repeated surrender offers.
On Wednesday, Sahi had said that the slain terrorists were “yet to be identified”. The police, too, have admitted that the trio was not listed as militants. On this, Sahi said, “It is not important that every militant is listed with the police. When a person leaves his home to join, he doesn’t tell his parents.”
Singh said, at times parents are not aware of the activities of their wards. “Still, we will investigate allegations made by their families. If we find anything, we will probe that,” he said.
Partial shutdown was observed in two south Kashmir districts — Pulwama and Sopian — against the “fake” encounter. Also, almost all mainstream political parties have demanded a probe into the incident. Internet remained suspended on Thursday in both districts as a precautionary measure.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *